It’s hard to believe how time has flown since I took the oath of office to serve as your Jefferson County Tax Assessor-Collector in November 2010. The journey has been amazing – we’re making a point about the importance of service and innovation in local governance; and I sincerely believe we’re honoring the commitments made in 2010 election.
I filled the unexpired term of Miriam Johnson who served us so well for many years. I am excited and proud to stand for re-election, as I promised you 2 years ago. I am asking for, and hope I can count on, your support during the campaign.
I want to briefly update you on some of the efforts we have made in the Tax Office:
• Improved communication and increased accessibility through dozens of Town Hall meetings and appearances with more each week. We held a first-ever Budget Town Hall to present my office’s budget to the public, and am establishing this as an annual event.
• Dedicated to improving personal access, and an ongoing commitment to highly personalized service. We have met with hundreds of taxpayers, in person, working with them on their specific issues and concerns.
• Enhanced payment options by accepting credit/debit cards in all locations for all transactions, including a lower transaction fee.
• Focus on excellent customer service via enhanced responsiveness to taxpayers and taxing entities. We serve as partners to County departments, political activists from across the spectrum, and our taxing entities. We do nothing for anyone that we wouldn’t do for everyone.
• We are in the process of redesigning the Jefferson County Tax Assessor-Collector’s website to enhance additional delivery methods including ordering tax certificates, accessing personal account information, as well as education resources so taxpayers can better understand the systems designed to serve them.
I am proud to say that I completed all licensing courses required for this position in less than six months. It was important to me that the professional knowledge required to be an effective tax professional be gathered and put to use as soon as practicable. The licensing program is a three-year program. Our staff is also embracing the need for professional education with enthusiasm.
I am blessed to work with a group of talented, dedicated individuals who are committed to serving the people of this county with competence and always with a smile. I appreciate the staff of the Tax Office, and hope to continue our mutual efforts together on your behalf. I look forward to serving you as Jefferson County Tax Assessor-Collector for another four years and hope I’ve earned your support. I thank you in advance.
As with any campaign we must count on the resources of our supporters: their time, talents and treasure. We only ask for what folks are willing and able to contribute including a smile and their vote.
Please let us know how you can help with the campaign. There are many options under the “Get Involved” tab. We sincerely appreciate anything you are willing and able to contribute – it does not go unnoticed, and I never take the trust you’ve placed in me for granted.
If you have any questions or comments, please send us a message.
J. Shane Howard
Contribute To The Campaign
Get to Know J. Shane Howard Online
Why Vote For J. Shane Howard?
Smart - Strong - Service
Shane's history of leadership and service has earned him a well-deserved reputation of being a voice of reason and common sense focused on enhancing individual's lives and liberty through service and limited governance. As a free-market, conservative political leader with an established record of well-publicized commentary, Shane is known to center the debate on principles and issues rather than political party and personality. As a community and business leader, Shane works diligently to focus on collaborative solutions to complex problems. Shane is known to work with all individuals who strive to better the community through honesty and good faith.
What People Are Saying
Shane has done a great job as Tax Assessor - Collector, he has brought innovation and professionalism to this office. Because of this the county and it's citizens are much better off.
Shane Howard has brought a new vision for performance-based accountability to the office of Jefferson County Tax Assessor. Shane's vision for providing new and traditional services has been enthusiastically recognized by both his staff and the tax paying constituents of which he serves. Shane has successfully brought new innovations to the tax office that have sustained both traditional and newly created services in an effective and cost-savings manner. His commitment to that new vision has been freely and openly shared in an unprecedented manner within the communities of Jefferson County. Shane is proven leader as a results oriented Tax Assessor for Jefferson County.